This is Filipino-style leche flan with cream cheese to add a rich, creamy texture, that’s not too sweet. You can feel free to omit the cream cheese to make regular flan; just drop the vanilla extract to 1 tablespoon & the rest of the recipe stays the same. Serves about 6-8.
1 cup sugar & 1 tbsp water for caramelizing tops
7 large egg yolks
1 (12oz.) can of evaporated milk
1 (14oz.) can condensed milk
4oz. (Half package, softened) Cream Cheese
1.5 tablespoons vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Caramelized top of flan: Melt sugar & water over med-high heat until liquified to a caramel color. Stir constantly & watch carefully to ensure not to burn.
2) Once all sugar has melted, remove from heat & immediately pour into baking pan sprayed with non-stick oil. Pour enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
3) Combine egg yolks, softened cream cheese, evaporated milk, condensed milk & vanilla extract in a blender & blend until fully incorporated.
4) Pour into pan with caramelized top(s). Fill almost all the way to the top; it won’t rise much.
5) Put pan in a water bath, which is another pan & fill it with warm water. This will help the flan bake gently.
6) Bake for about an hour for 8-9″ pan or glass. 6″ pan (deeper) will be 1.5 hrs +. This mini heart pan takes about an hour. If you use a thick pan or your flan is deeper, it takes longer to bake, about 2 hours. Stick a toothpick to check if flan is firm all the way though. If not, add 15 min increments.
7) After baking, allow it to cool down completely. Refrigerate for about an hour. Run a knife along the sides of the pan & flip the flan over until released. ENJOY! – MMC Bakes